What’s the best thing about Amazon?
A lot of items? Nope. Fast delivery? Meh.
The best thing is – they have excellent customer support.
When you buy something from Amazon, you are 100% sure that you will get all the help you need to either fix it, return it, or replace it.
And that is what makes you buy from there instead of any other store.
Your business is no different.
People coming on your website are seeking reassurance and trust so that they can buy from you. And a strong customer support system is a great way to put their fears to rest.
So, to solve any problem your customers might be facing, you need a helpdesk plugin.
Now, there are over 20 customer support plugins out there in the market. Here we’ve chosen the best 8.5 WordPress helpdesk plugins that we believe will help you in customer support.
(Why the 0.5? We’ll get to that soon…:P)
Help Scout is a stand-alone software that allows you to handle customer support seamlessly. It is very easy to use, has a ton of features, and multiple integration options that let you add it to practically any website.
To add it to your WordPress website, you will need an integration plugin like Help Scout Desk or WooCommerce Help Scout, in case you are working with WooCommerce. If your website works with Easy Digital Downloads, you can use the HelpScout Integration for Easy Digital Downloads.
Best Features of Help Scout:
- Let customers create support tickets without requiring an email
- Create and store content so you can answer queries 24×7
- Allow users to attach multiple documents to make their problem clear, which will be previewed in the thread
- Keep track of all customer data to highlight important/priority clients
- Easy chat management for operators
- 80+ integrations with various software and plugins
Here you have to pay separately for Help Scout as well as the integration plugins (if they’re premium).
We ourselves are using Help Scout for one of our platforms and the Support team has had a great experience with the software so far.
So, I’ve absolutely no qualms in recommending it. If you’re looking for a reliable customer support system for your company, you can choose Help Scout with your eyes closed.
Awesome support is a native WordPress plugin, which has a strong feature set. It is one of the most full-fledged help desk solutions made for WordPress.
The free version is good enough if you want a basic customer support functionality. For advanced features, you can get the premium plugin or the various add-ons available.
Best Features of Awesome Support for WordPress:
- Integrated ticketing system
- Ability to import tickets from Zendesk, Help Scout, and Ticksy
- Customizable email templates for sending user notifications
- Restricted access to support tickets to ensure customer privacy
- Control the number, size, and type of uploads allowed for customers
- Supports WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads
- Easy ticket management with a tagging, sorting, and filtering system
- Quick tracking of ticket origins
- Automatic closing of old and expired tickets
Zendesk is like the godfather of help desk software, with a huge arsenal of features, great design, and ease of use rolled into one.
The biggest advantage of Zendesk is that it focuses a lot on personalization, which makes conversations with customers effortless.
Plus, it has neat little tools integrated to increase support manager productivity and focus.
Best Features of Zendesk:
- Live chat, support and ticketing system, and call software
- Ticket forms to understand the common questions your customers have
- Conditional/custom ticket fields to gather additional data from select customers
- Service Level Agreement monitoring to let support managers know exact ticket priority
- Multilingual support at the backend for 40+ languages
- Skill-based routing to assign the right ticket to the right agent
- Pre-defined ticket actions for speedy response
- Quick customer profile provided to support managers for more personalized conversations
- Single sign-on for logged-in users into WordPress and Zendesk
- Convert blog comments to support tickets in case a user has expressed concern and take the conversation offline
- Performance Dashboards, advanced Analytics options, and customer satisfaction prediction software
Zendesk is huge. It has a lot, I mean a lot, of features, which can be a good or a bad thing. It is built to be scalable, for organizations that depend heavily on robust customer support and their pricing reflects it.
Having said that, their basic plans are quite affordable if you have a small number of operators and need only basic features. But then, if that is what you need, a regular WordPress plugin should also do the job.
If, however, you are a fast-growing company or a mega organization, Zendesk is a safe bet, although it can get expensive really fast. The long and short of it is, Zendesk is a safe bet for excellent customer support – a good option if you have a big enough budget.
Like Awesome Support, WPHelpDesk is a WordPress plugin that lets you control your customer support system from your WordPress Dashboard.
It has several nifty features that help you embed your ticket forms and connect with your customers with a few tweaks in the settings.
In addition, it packs a strong sorting and filtering system that lets your support agents prioritize their work and address the most urgent queries first.
Best Features of WPHelpDesk for WordPress:
- Quick, easy setup
- Support Managers can reply to support queries from the frontend, improving response time
- Public forums supported, to facilitate discussion amongst users which reduces support queries
- Customizable ticket form with Custom Fields which can be added anywhere on the website
- Canned responses for frequently asked questions
- Import support emails directly into your WordPress Dashboard
- Resolved queries can be sent as emails to customers
- Integrates with Easy Digital Downloads and WooCommerce
Note: WPHelpDesk is a premium plugin with plans starting from $99. It has 4 add-ons – Email Piping (premium), EDD integration (premium), Ninja Forms integration (free), and WooCommerce integration (premium).
WP Support Plus – the premium version of the WP Support Plus Responsive Support Ticket System – is a decent support ticket plugin, which can be used from your WordPress Dashboard.
It offers an unlimited number of support ticket managers and tickets as well as the opportunity to create guest tickets.
The reason I won’t be speaking about the free plugin here is that it is no longer getting updates, but only being maintained only for existing users. (New users are recommended to check out SupportCandy)
Best Features of WP Support Plus for WordPress:
- Custom fields supported
- Users can upload multiple file formats
- Email integration to send notifications about support ticket updates (add-on)
- Create custom rules to assign new tickets to appropriate agents (add-on)
- CSV export of support tickets (add-on)
- Pin important tickets at top of the queue (add-on)
- WooCommerce and EDD integrations (add-on)
Note: There can be some confusion related to the different plugins under this brand, so let’s clear it up.
WP Support Plus Responsive Ticket System is a free plugin but is not being updated, just maintained.
WP Support Plus is the premium version, which also requires add-ons for complete functionality.
SupportCandy is the new support plugin introduced by the developers as a replacement to WP Support Plus Responsive Ticket System.
WSDesk by ELEX is a WordPress help desk plugin that does your job and does it well. The plugin stores your support data on your system as opposed to in the cloud, to prevent loss of privacy due to security breaches.
It has a simple AJAX-based design, which makes it easier to manage for the support agent. In addition, it lets you set up action-based triggers depending on predefined user workflows.
Best Features of WSDesk – ELEX WordPress Helpdesk Plugin:
- Easy ticket activity with AJAX-based page design
- Custom ticket views by Agent, Ticket tag, Email type, Software, etc.
- Automatic, action-based triggers for agents and users
- Conversion of unread emails to support tickets and vice versa to take the conversion offline
- Canned responses for common queries
- In-depth reports for Agents, Tickets, and Customer Satisfaction
- XML backups for ticket files
- Integration with WooCommerce and EDD
- Addition of professional Agent signatures
- SMS notifications for support managers and users
- Customizable ticket fields and support forms
AH Tickets is your run-of-the-mill support ticket system, which gives you the basic customer helpdesk functionality at a reasonable price.
It has a customizable form landing page, supports multiple file attachment formats and languages.
However, the product support and documentation is not very great and if you ask me, I believe you can get a better, more reliable plugin that this one.
Best Features of AH Tickets:
- Ratings and reviews for Support Managers enabled
- RTL support
- Customizable ticket landing page
- Social login for users
- Action-based email notifications for support managers and customers
This is a premium plugin hosted on CodeCanyon. It is a decent option is you are quite the coder and can customize the support system as per your requirements.
If, however, you are looking for a plugin with a simple and uncomplicated system, I’d not recommend this one.
Designed specifically with WooCommerce compatibility in mind, this plugin adds a support and help desk system to your WooCommerce website. It has 3 different ticket types – Order ticket, User ticket, and Pay per ticket.
One drawback of the plugin is that it does not, as of yet, support the Gutenberg Editor. So, it is a viable option only if you’re using the classic editor.
Best Features of WooCommerce Support Ticket System
- Pre-defined responses to frequently asked questions
- Easy management of tickets at the backend
- Custom statuses can be defined for tickets
- Admin can create custom rules for ticket attachments, message length, ticket display, etc.
- Multi-language compatible
Now, coming to the 0.5 part. Well, bbPress is not exactly a customer support plugin, but it can be used as one if you set it up properly.
bbPress lets you create forums on your WordPress website, where you can encourage your users to ask questions, answer existing questions, and get their queries resolved.
The advantages of bbPress as a customer support plugin are:
- The most common queries can be listed as popular threads, which are easily discoverable for new users.
- Your existing users or WordPress influencers can answer queries in such public forums, reducing your workload.
- The WordPress community is very helpful and genuine users usually provide in-depth and insightful answers to product-related questions.
The one drawback? – It can get really difficult to keep track of all customer queries and you might end up missing out on a few.
Or, you could even forgo a potential lead in this hullabaloo.
I’d say, you use a controlled support forum in addition to your dedicated support system with bbPress. It’s a free plugin, so you don’t have to worry about additional expenses, while all your basic support concerns are taken care of.
And that covers the list!
Which WordPress Helpdesk Plugin are You Planning to Choose?
This is an overview of the best WordPress helpdesk plugins that we think can be helpful for you. I would also like to mention Freshdesk and JS Helpdesk as two more viable options as they have a pretty good feature set.
Which support system you decide to go for depends a lot on how extensive your support network is going to be, how fast do you intend to make it, and how dependent your business is on that network.
So, which helpdesk plugin are you planning to choose? Drop a comment to let us know!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this blog post might be affiliate links. When you purchase through a link on our website, we receive a small commission, at no added cost to you, which helps us run Epitrove and keep producing great content. This does not influence our recommendations; we only recommend products we work with or love. Thank you for your support!